There is no doubt that Roulette is the queen of all casino games where just the name itself conjures images of the well heeled at a Monte Carlo casino.
However, thanks to technology online roulette offers its own set of thrills for players of every budget and style. You don’t have to be a high roller or even leave home to play your favourite roulette game.
A computer or mobile and access to the internet is all you need to get started. What’s even better is that you can choose the download version or play instantly in a Flash compatible browser.
If you want to learn more about the online version of this thrilling game, you’ve hit the right page. Top 10 Casino Websites is just the place from where you can navigate to the best online roulette casinos, get an introduction to the online version, the rules, and soak in plenty of advice and tips to help you stretch your dollar to the limit at real money online roulette casinos.
Best Roulette Casinos
200%Welcome Bonus (T&Cs apply, 18+)
$/£/€998Welcome Bonus (T&Cs apply, 18+)
$333Welcome Bonus (T&Cs apply, 18+)
$/€/£15,000Welcome Bonus (T&Cs apply, 18+)
$3000Welcome Bonus (T&Cs apply, 18+)
$4000Welcome Bonus (T&Cs apply, 18+)
Play roulette games for free - 100+ Playable games
Online Roulette Basics
Roulette is a staple offering in both offline and online casinos because it is easy to play and a lot of fun too. You don’t need any expert knowledge or skills to place bets although there are rules and variations which our experts will help you with all throughout this page.
- Roulette involves a wheel, a ball and a board.
- The Roulette wheel is the main area where a small white ball spins and drops into a pocket. It features numbers 1 to 36 painted in either red or black and a single zero (0) or in the case of American Roulette a double zero (00), which is green.
- The online roulette board also features the same numbers 1-18, 19-36, along with Odd, Even, Red, Black, 1st dozen, 2nd dozen, and 3rd dozen.
- You need to bet on a particular number that you predict the ball will land on after it is dropped and the wheel stops spinning.
- You can make any number of bets ranging from a single number or a combination of numbers by placing your chips in the corresponding location on the roulette board. Betting on a combination of numbers is where you can bet on Even or Odd numbers while betting on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd dozen allows you to bet on 12 numbers at once. Other betting types include columns, rows, and red or black.
- Inside bets are those in which you bet on a single or combination of numbers while betting on odd, red, black, columns, and 1, 2, and 3 dozen are known as outside bets.
- Once you’ve placed your bets with a click of the mouse in the specific locations on the roulette board, all you need is to click on the Deal or Spin button to get the game started. The ball which is dropped into the wheel will come to a stop after some time in one of the pockets. You will receive a payout depending on if you predict correctly and the value of your bet.
Types of Online Roulette
There are a few interesting variants of roulette where our experts at Top 10 Casino Websites have spent endless hours learning the finer aspects of each game. Here are few of the most popular roulette variants you will find at online casinos listed on our site.
Online European Roulette
European roulette is the most popular variant with numbers 1 to 36 and a single (0). It has a low house edge of 2.6% and features the half back rule where players can get back half their bet if the ball lands in the ‘0’. The payout varies based on the type of bet.
- Bets placed on a single number (Straight Up) bets pay 35:1.
- Winning bets on two numbers pay 17:1
- Winning bets on three numbers pay 11:1.
- Winning bets on red/black or odd/even pay 1:1.
Online American Roulette
American Roulette is another popular variant of roulette similar to European roulette but with 38 pockets instead of 37. The major distinction is the double zero ‘00’, which often allows for bigger profit margins. The game has a higher house edge of 5.7%, which is even higher at 7.89% for the 0-00-1-2-3 combination. All of the standard roulette bets apply although there are some exclusive bets in this type of roulette as well.
- Single zero and double zero bets or single number bets pay 35:1
- Split bets on single zero and double zero pay 17:1
- Winning bets on three numbers pay 11:1
- Four numbers in a block pay 8:1
- 0, 00, 1, 2, and 3 pays 6:1
- Dozen and column bets pay 2:1
- Numbers 1 to 18, 19 to 36, odd, even, red, black pay 1:1
Online French Roulette
The French roulette wheel is identical to the European roulette wheel except for the design element where all the numbers are green and the betting areas are also labeled in French. It features ‘En Prison’ and La Partage bets where if you place an even money bet on any combination such as even/odd, black/red, or low/high numbers, and the ball lands in the zero pocket, you will be paid back half your bet. It’s a nice way to cut your losses.
As the name suggests this type of roulette is played at one roulette table but features 8 European roulette wheels. This means you have as much as eight times the opportunity to win. Bets placed apply to all the eight wheels while the wheels spin simultaneously but independently. This means you can have up to eight winning numbers and eight different results for one bet.
Live Dealer Roulette
If you are looking for a real land-based casino experience but from the comfort of your desktop then live dealer roulette is just what the doctor ordered. These games work the same way as the online versions but are streamed live with a real life croupier in charge of the wheel. Many online casinos list here offer European, American and French live dealer roulette so get ready for some high octane action at the wheels.
Online Roulette Tips & Strategies
Top 10 Casino Websites and its team of experts have plenty up their sleeve to help you become a better player at online roulette. They have loads of tips and advice and things you can easily do to make the most of every game. However, to be honest, you may have noticed that the word ‘strategies’ has been struck out. That’s because there are really no time and tested strategies and no quick fix formulas to winning big time. If anyone tells you so, it would be wise to ignore them. Roulette in any form is a game of chance and making well informed bets can improve the chances of success.
So let’s hear it from our experts.
- Inside and Outside Bets: It is important for every player to understand that while there are various betting combinations, most bets are categorized as inside bets or outside bets. Inside bets are the numbers on the board, 1 to 36 and 0 or the 00 in the case of online American roulette. These bets have better payouts as compared to outside bets since there are fewer numbers involved. There are numerous combinations of outside bets such as Red, Black, Odd, Even, Column bets, 1st dozen, 2nd dozen, and 3rd dozen. Our experts recommend outside bets in the beginning since they present a greater chance of winning despite the payouts being smaller.
- Place multiple bets: Roulette is one game where you can place several types of bets at once and even mix and match them to suit your style. You could mix an Even and a Column bet to alleviate any losses. You may lose your Even bet if the ball lands on number 15 but will win double in a 3rd column bet.
- If you are a newbie you may want to start with Even or Odd bets to increase the chances of winning while you continue to learn.
- Don’t bet without knowing what the odds and payouts are.
- Choose your game wisely. It is important to understand the difference between European roulette with its single zero and American roulette with its additional double zero. The American version therefore has a higher house edge so you may want to begin with European roulette before you make a switch.
- Once you are familiar with European roulette it would be prudent to play other variants of online roulette. Every variant has its own betting method and you could benefit if you consistently change your approach to betting.
- Never bet in haste. Think out each bet carefully or you could end up making bad decisions especially if you are on a winning streak.
- Always bet small and start with outside bets as mentioned earlier. When you have a healthier bankroll and the time to play longer sessions you can place other types of bets. The bottom line is to bring variations to your game.
- You can bet several numbers on the board near each other in one single bet. The payouts are lower than betting on a single number but will be higher than making an outside bet. This is one tip you ought to pay special attention to.
- If you want to develop more you can switch to multi-player online roulette and watch other players. You have other players at the table even though you still play against the house.
- A sensible way to bet is to pick a few low numbers (1-18) and also bet an equal amount on high numbers (19-36). You win either way no matter where the ball lands. Just make sure you are aware of the odds and payout.
Online Roulette FAQ
Since our experts always have spent endless hours at every online casino that we list and play every roulette game, they have a great idea of the type of questions that most players have. Here’s a few answers to some of the most common online roulette related queries.
A word of caution: Using the Martingale system and betting on one or two outcomes such as Red/Black or Odd/Even and placing large bets continuously over a period, can have you banned by the online casino. This is in most cases clearly defined in the casino’s terms and conditions especially in the case of bonuses.